06 November 2004

In memoriam

Princess Alice, Dowager Duchess of Gloucester, has died just two months shy of her 103rd birthday. I was privileged to see her in person in the summer of 1975 during my European travels. I had hoped to visit St. Paul's Cathedral, but it was in use when I arrived. After the service inside had ended, Princess Alice emerged from the building and descended the front steps, flanked on each side by a line of Girl Guides. It was my first brush with royalty. Decades later Nancy, Theresa and I saw the Queen, whose motorcade was passing Dundurn Castle during her Jubilee visit to Hamilton two years ago. Nearly enough to make a sentimental monarchist out of an American-born subject.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com