11 July 2004

Nana Mouskouri

Included in my vinyl record collection are at least two albums by the renowned popular Greek singer, Nana Mouskouri. In one she sings in French and the other in Greek. I cannot say that I've followed her career closely over the decades, but I think she must easily have recorded thousands of songs. This German-language website reveals that she has sung in many more languages than I had thought, including German, English, Hebrew, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese, the Corsican dialect of Italian, and Latin. But not Esperanto. Imagine if she were to work for the European Union in Brussels. She might be able single-handedly to cut their massive translation budget in half.


BBC

Nana Mouskouri


In fact, she was elected to the European Parliament in 1994, representing Greece's New Democracy Party, and served until 1999. She succeeded the late actress, Audrey Hepburn, as an ambassador for UNICEF, in which capacity she has attempted to raise awareness of the plight of children in the two-thirds world.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com