27 August 2003

Knowing and singing the Psalms

Something wonderful happened as I was sitting with Theresa last evening reading to her from her bible story book. The book includes three of the biblical Psalms (which is far too few, but that's another post for another day) paraphrased in language children can easily understand. I read the 23rd Psalm to her. She looked up at me and said, with the brightness of recognition illuminating her face, "There's a song about that!" I began singing Psalm 23 to her. "Yes, that's it," she said excitedly. Then I read the Psalm 150 paraphrase. "There's a song about that one too," Theresa exclaimed. So I began to sing Psalm 150, which she immediately recognized once again. I've sung both of these to her since she was a baby.

I was happy that my own psalm versifications are close enough to the versions in her book that she is able to acknowledge them as genuine psalms. Nothing could make me happier than my daughter growing up singing and loving the biblical Psalms.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com